Saturday, January 31, 2009

Citizen media gives a voice

It has only been in recent weeks that I have truly come to understand the meaning of citizen media.  It is a term and idea that is becoming more and more prevalent in today's society.  The  concept of what citizen media represent is essential for our society and where it is heading.


With this new interest in citizen media I have found  myself much more aware of my surroundings and what this new media is able to offer me.  Podcasts are something that I have subscribed to recently and I have become hooked.  There is just so much variety to choose from that it makes it easy to find podcasts that suit your interests and lifestyle.  Podcasts are a unique way to interact with society and specially your listeners.  This idea of the podcast gives a voice to the people and allows them to reach and audience and be heard.  


Both blogs and podcasts have become much more personal and intimate then what society refers to as the mass media.  These relatively new forms of media allows the audience to actually participate instead of always just consuming.  This idea of participatory  media is a nice change to the mass media we consume everyday.  Citizen media produces new ideas and perspectives on what the mass media produces.  Alternative media and autonomous media are perfect examples of new media with new ideas and our great for a different outlook on society and life.

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree with your ideas of podcasts. When I first heard of them and downnloaded some I didn't enjoy them, I found them very annoying. Over time I have found a spot for them in my heart.
    With so many to choose from I have found it difficult to narrow down the ones that I want to listen to all the time. I think that podcasts are a great way to bring out global village a little closer together.

    ReplyDelete